Wednesday, March 9, 2011

40 Days (and some nights)

Someone whose blog I follow regularly is, I guess, using the framework of Lent to try to be a little more disciplined with her creativity. I'd like to do the same thing here. For the next 40 days (and probably some nights), I'm going to try (let's be realistic here) and write every day. Or at least post something. Kind of like the Catholic Church meets NaBloPoMo.

Today was kind of a crap day, coming to face to face with the bureaucracy that is PTO. Today's crisis actually started last night, with an URGENT email that required a phone call, that when I made it went unanswered. Today brought a flurry of emails and a round robin of phone calls that identified a problem, declared it "too late to do anything," and concluded with, "No, we don't even want to let anyone know there is a problem. But if someone asks you, this is where we stand..."

(Imagine much gnashing of teeth here.)

Being a foot soldier in this scenario, I really can't do much about the situation. And since my kids are going to be at this particular school for the next number of years, I really don't want to be in the position of rocking the boat. But let me just say, I can totally see why they have so much trouble finding volunteers, getting people to run fundraisers, and keeping PTO officers.

And in the words of the immortal Forrest Gump: That's all I have to say about that.

1 comment:

The Other Laura said...

Hey. I applaud you for being a PTO foot soldier - even on bad days!